Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Drank The iPad Kool-Aid... And I Liked It!

There’s no denying that underwater photography is a gear intensive pursuit.  Along with digital DSLR cameras, underwater strobes, underwater camera housings and an arsenal of lenses, one also requires a state of the art computer system to download and process all those images.

In 2007,  I switched from using PC’s to a Macbook Pro laptop and I have never looked back.  MACs seem designed to easily handle the rigors of diving photojournalism and photo editing.  So yes, you could say that I’m a die hard Apple devotee when it comes to electronics.  

We are now several months past (released in Canada on May 28) Apple’s impressive release of their latest technology marvel, the iPad. At first, I resisted being an early adopter, but all that ended last week.  I drank the iPad Kool-Aid and sprung for the top of the line iPad 64GB, Wi-FI 3G model.  For a diving photojournalist, the opportunity to present digital media to editors and potential clients proved irresistible.  I drank the IPad Kool-Aid.

The iPad can do several cool things.  Apart from the simple art of reading emails on the fly, it is a great ebook reader that will allow taking a virtual library of book with us wherever we travel.  Toss in the ability to play the off game or watch movies makes this a worthy tool.  With its Multi-Touch user interface, large screen and high-quality graphics, the iPad will run almost all of the more than 225,000 apps on the App Store.

One feature I would like to see in the next model release is a built in hi resolution camera for adhoc image making.  This will come, I’m sure.  And when it does, my lovely wife will inherit the current iPad. Just imagine, she can then either update her blog when her Macbook Pro is in its briefcase, or perhaps even order that new pair of simply gotta have it  black stilettos from White House Black Market while we are driving in the car.   Hmmm... maybe I should rethink that one?

0 comments: