Thursday, January 20, 2011

Death By Cephalopod ~ The Blue-Ringed Octopus

It is a fascinating creature... The blue-ringed octopus is the size of a golf ball but its poison is powerful enough to kill an adult human in minutes. It’s been said the last thing the victim sees are the blue rings – visible only when it is about to attack.  Extremely poisonous, these tiny octopus can kill a person with one bite from their tiny parrot-like beak.  The "victim" dies quickly.  First you would feel nauseous and your vision becomes cloudy. Within seconds you would go blind and you will have lost your sense of touch. You are now unable to speak or swallow. Three minutes later you are paralyzed and are unable to breath.  With no known antidote, the only treatment is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison has worked its way out of your system.